Monday, September 19, 2011

"The word emotion comes from the Latin emovere, meaning to 'move through or out.' So in its original form, there isn't any trace of clinging to, or rejecting, these movements. But instead of allowing emotions to move through and out of us, we often feed them with negative thoughts and end up giving them long-term residence. In short order, the guests take over the house, leaving us reeling and unable to truly be in control. So how do we turn this unhelpful pattern around? The key to any pattern is repetition. But in the case of such reactivity, this repetition is actually happening below the radar of our conscious mind. By the time a situation escalates to the point of emotion, we often find ourselves overpowered. The challenge, then, comes in sharpening our awareness so that we become sensitive to smaller versions of these same emotions."

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This random blog post from a Google search of "emovere latin meaning" is actually strangely on point with exactly what I'm writing about right now, but even more impressive. Topic is about "Living Consciously," so I thought I'd find out where the ubiquitously known word, emotion, came from. I suppose my impulse was that finding the root meaning of the word was a better place to start than any, considering how quick of a search it is too. Then I find this article, which not only gives such a parsimonious but insightful definition - but as I kept reading - a bang-on exploration of emotion, how it affects us, and THE way to process it. Other than the typos, 10/10.

    I wouldn't know if you will ever check this, considering it's written in 2011. However, I would like to be the first one to (comment and) applaud your thoughts. I read the exquisite entry, then scrolled up to read the title. 11/10! I relate to that attitude, even though waking up naked isn't in my repertoire. It sounds liberating though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. emovere
    moveree
    overeem
    vereemo
    ereemov
    reemove
    eemover
    emovere

    The condition of anything is play.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's 2019 and I came across your thought while searching for the origin of the word Emotion. A salute you, what a beautiful line of thought.

    ReplyDelete